Sunnysideup: I Choose to be Happy!
(is now back in Manila!)

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sunnysideup Perspectives: Confessions of a Domestic Diva


Photo grabbed from the internet.
Acknowledging Jessie Steele Aprons



For the past three years I was on a sabbatical from the corporate world, hence I became a fulltime wife/trailing spouse,traveller, fashion and styling student, entrepreneur wanna-be and a domestic helper (for my hubby of course! :P)

When I was single, in my twenties and all around busy running the rat race, I always dreamt about having that sabbatical/vacation were I didn't have to think about bills, deadlines and office politics. I guess you can say that after 9 years of corporate life I felt tired,stressed and burned out. Thanks to my hubby, he allowed me attain that dream. For three years he supported me financially while I supported him emotionally as his career counsellor and his personal cheerleader. He gave me the chance to try be a kid again and just plain play as the world passed me by. I enjoyed it really, my personal fulfillment came from the fact that I was also able to contribute in his career growth as his wife.

Let me say however that it is not always a bed of roses. A wise housewife friend once told me "This kind of lifestyle is not for everyone." So for anyone contemplating on being a housewife here a few things you need to ask yourself:



  • Are you comfortable spending most of your days at home?

  • Are you ready to be financially dependent and on a budget? (Unless your spouse is extremely rich or you are a housewife/entrepreneur).

  • Are you ready to cook and do household chores? (Yes you can always hire help but if you're like me you still get involved in training them and of course still doing some of it to get it right.)

  • Are you good at finding ways to keep yourself busy and entertained? (Gym, Biz, School, Kids etc)

  • Are you ready to give up your corporate career?

Right now I am back in the Corporate Grind. I truly missed working and the life of a employee. Never thought I would but I do. I validated that being a housewife is a noble profession but, again, it's not for everyone. Maybe I'm not one of the women cut out for this role. It has both perks and disadvantages. So should you decide to be one: Jump in with a big heart, wide eyes and an open mind. Enjoy the ride and live not on regrets or what ifs. :) I tried the life, I enjoyed it and am blessed and thankful to have had the chance to try it. No regrets!

No comments: