Here's a tag reminder for all women to practice self breast examination. I got this from Leah :)
Reminds me of a cyst in my left breast when I was in college. One day it (my left breast) just felt itchy, as I was scratching I discovered a small lump. Didn't give it much thought until the next day when I realized it was still there.
I told my mom about it and apparently she also had one during her 20's. Anyway, we decided to have it removed. I was lucky because it was small and benign plus I only had to undergo a minor operation. In fact I was out the same day. The lady doctor was also nice, she was talking to me the entire time and making jokes to relax me. It also helped to know that there is no known case of the big "C" in my family.
On a hindsight this experience became positive because it created awareness in my dorm. Word came out and my dorm mates all checked their breasts. A few of them made a discovery and also undertook operations.
Anyway, here are a few reminders my doctor gave me:
- Avoid wearing tight brassieres especially those with metal linings
- Avoid/Lessen caffeine intake
- Be conscious of sleeping position, preferably avoid sleeping face down.
Here are a few more facts about breast cancer. (Facts taken from Women’s Health)
* One in eight women or 12.6% of all women will get breast cancer in her lifetime.
* Breast cancer risk increases with age and every woman is at risk.
* Every 13 minutes a woman dies of breast cancer.
* Seventy-seven percent of women with breast cancer are over 50.
* Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in women between the ages of 15 and 54, and the second cause of cancer death in women 55 to 74.
* Risks for breast cancer include a family history, atypical hyperplasia, early menstruation (before age 12), late menopause (after age 55), current use or use in the last ten years of oral contraceptives, and daily consumption of alcohol.
* Early detection of breast cancer, through monthly breast self-exam and particularly yearly mammography after age 40, offers the best chance for survival.
And now here is the tag and the rules:
1. Put the logo in your blog.
2. Add a link to the person who shared it with you.
3. Nominate at least 7 other blogs
4. Add your link to the list of participants below
5. Leave a message for your nominee on their blog.
1- Fara 2- Massy 3- N.O.Y 4- Mariuca 5- A Great Pleasure 6- LadyJava 7- Kim 8- Pink Thoughts 9- Turn-u-Off 10- Roxiticus Desperate Housewives 11- STAY AT HOME MOM 12- Fida Abbott 13- Also Mommy 14- Janice Ng 15- Juliana’s Site 16- The Painted Veil 17- Heart of Rachel 18- Mga Muni-muni 19- littlemsfirefly 20 - My Happy Thoughts 21- Underneath It All 22- Cellulitic Bliss 23 - A Matter of Perspective 24 - Sunnysideup: I choose to be happy!