Sunnysideup: I Choose to be Happy!
(is now back in Manila!)

Monday, February 9, 2009

Thank you series: Back from Manila!

Hello everyone!

I'm back from a 3 week blogging hiatus and there's so much to share. From Manila, I was only able to post about my new hair cut and the wedding I attended. I enjoyed every moment I spent there and really wish I could have stayed a little longer. I just love spending time with my family and friends.

By the way, we arrived here in China on a Saturday. The next day we had to go to the market and grocery to stuck up on food since our fridge and cupboards were empty. In the market I stumbled upon a crustacean I loved to eat as a child. In the Philippines, we call it 'Alupihang Dagat'. I searched the web for it's English name and I found this. Apparently it's called 'Mantis Shrimp'. This animal looks a bit weird but it sure does taste good.

Excitedly we went home to cook it. I made a soup called 'Sinigang' in Filipino. In the soup I added tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, orange juice/concentrate (instead of tamarind or guava), cabbage, salt, pepper, and of course the 'Mantis Shrimp'. It was yummy! Actually it was my hubby's first time to try it in a soup and I'm glad he liked it. Well except for the fact that it was quite hard and inconvenient for him to unshell :)


still hot in the pot


served hot


what's left

No comments: